What should you know about Grace Lutheran Church? That's not an easy question to answer in a few words. In fact this whole website is designed to help you get to know us better, but we'll use our name to give you an idea of who we are and what we're about.
Grace – (God's undeserved love) is at the heart of who we are as individuals and as a congregation.
8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God- 9not by works, so that no one can boast. Ephesians 2:8-9 (New International Version)
You won't find a lot of perfect people at Grace Lutheran Church. In fact we are as big a bunch of sinners as you could hope to meet, but we are sinners transformed by God's love and forgiveness. Love demonstrated by Jesus Christ and forgiveness won for us by Him dying on a cross and rising from the dead. This is at the center of what we believe as Christians and as Lutherans, and because of this we strive to live in God' love and share that love and forgiveness with others. Our Mission statement is even spelled out in the acronym GRACE:
God in His love, Reaches out through us to; Actively share, Care, and Encourage others to follow Jesus Christ!
We hope you'll give us a chance to care for you, encourage you and share God's love in Jesus Christ with you.
Lutheran – We are Lutheran Christians. Grace is a congregation of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS). Being “Lutheran,” we accept and teach the Bible-based teachings of Martin Luther who inspired the reformation of the Christian Church in the 16th century. Among the things we believe and practice as Lutherans are the following:
- We believe in the Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit - one God with three distinct persons.
- We believe that all people are sinful and in need the forgiveness and new life won for them by Jesus Christ's death and resurrection.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit creates and sustains faith through God's word and sacraments (Baptism and Communion).
- We practice infant Baptism, and believe that God works through the water and his spoken word to forgive the sins and create new life in the individual being baptized.
- We believe that Christ's Body and Blood are present in, with and under the bread and wine in Holy Communion, and that those who partake of it should hold the same belief and be able to examine themselves and approach the sacrament with an attitude of repentance. For these reasons we practice close communion. Those who are members of The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod are welcome to commune, others should speak to the worship leader before communing.
- Our Worship is typically liturgical in style, meaning that we follow an order of worship the roots of which date back hundreds of years, but we try to blend more traditional elements with more contemporary.
- On a lighter side we also believe in and practice fun, fellowship and potlucks (Though those things are probably not what make us Lutheran.)
Church – The church is not a building, but a group of God's people. (Though you will also find a nice facility, including a sanctuary, gym, class and meeting rooms, offices, rest rooms and kitchens.) We are people gathered around the purpose of sharing God's love in words and actions, as a congregation and as individuals. Grace is a small to medium sized church, but you will find many opportunities for worship, study, fellowship and service, including Saturday Evening and Sunday Morning Worship Services as well as Wednesday services in Advent and Lent. There are Sunday School classes, Bible Classes, confirmation classes, potluck and fellowship dinners, church picnics, children's sermons, a food pantry, the annual clothing give away, Christmas Food Baskets, backpacks, socks and other items for the homeless, Children's Christmas Program, Vacation Bible School, youth group, the annual Fish Fry, the Christmas Cookie Festival, fireworks stand, LWML Women's Group, labor of love, Thrivent Build and other service projects, quilters, fishermen and much more. There's even Glen's banana ministry. We really are a great bunch of God's forgiven people and we'd like to get to know you better. We hope you'll find us friendly and caring, for that is our intention. Come check us out! Come grow in Grace!
We sincerely hope Grace is the place for you, but... if by chance you don't feel that we are the right church for you, we would be happy to help you find the one that is right. Our first priority is to help you find Jesus! Our second priority is to help you to find a church in Wichita, where you can be nurtured and cared for and find meaningful opportunities for service. For starters there are several other Lutheran Churches in Wichita, each with their own personalities and possibilities. Tell us how we can help!